While you’re still using your furnace, it’s the perfect time to assess the health of your furnace. All Eufaula, GA, homeowners should know the warning signs of an aging furnace, especially indicators of a carbon monoxide leak.
Carbon Monoxide Is Dangerous and Hard to Detect
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by your furnace and carried out of your home through the exhaust system. As older furnaces deteriorate, carbon monoxide may leak into your home, causing sickness or even death.
How to Spot the Warning Signs in Your Furnace
Homeowners should not only recognize the signs of an aging furnace but install carbon monoxide detectors as an added layer of protection.
- A yellow burner flame – The flame of a properly functioning furnace should be mainly blue. A yellow or orange flame is a sign that your furnace needs servicing.
- Soot or dark buildup – A buildup of soot is a sign that your furnace isn’t burning fuel effectively and releasing byproducts of the combustion process into your home.
- Excessive moisture or rust – Moisture on, or around, your furnace can create rust that’ll damage ventilation pipes, creating cracks that can allow carbon monoxide to leak into your home.
Know the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The CDC describes the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning as “flu-like” including headache, upset stomach, chest pain, dizziness and confusion. A severe carbon monoxide leak can result in fainting or even the death of humans and pets in the home.
The CDC recommends that homeowners have their furnace inspected annually by a qualified professional.
Protect Your Family With a Furnace Inspection
Schedule an appointment with Indoor Solutions to evaluate your furnace. Our certified technicians will ensure your furnace is working properly to help protect your family from carbon monoxide leaks.
Image provided by iStock