When you’re looking for ways to reduce your home’s monthly overhead, finding places to start saving energy dollars today isn’t hard. These tips include fast and easy ways to lower your consumption and start saving immediately.
- Reduce your storage tank water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees F. Not only will it cut your energy costs, it will reduce the risk of scalding injuries. It’s more energy efficient to use the dishwasher’s heating coil to boost the temperature instead of keeping many gallons of water hot continuously. If you want to compensate for the extra electricity the coil uses, turn off the dry cycle and open the door to dry the dishes.
- Look at the condition of the air conditioner’s air filter. If it’s covered with dirt, note its size and replace it. A dirty filter reduces your cooling system’s performance and can cause a premature breakdown. During the cooling season, check it monthly and change it when it looks dirty.
- The condition of the outdoor condenser for the A/C also impacts your energy costs. Remove any vegetation that interferes with the free flow of air around it and clean the condensing coil with the hose, being careful to adjust the spray so that it won’t damage the fins surround the coil.
- Another way to start saving energy dollars today is to schedule A/C maintenance. Annual maintenance reduces energy consumption because the cleaning and adjustments the HVAC technician makes will help it run closer to its original factory settings. They’ll also spot any problems that could become more serious, saving you money on repair costs.
- Incandescent light bulbs draw far more energy than LED bulbs or CFLs. When replacing the older bulbs, put LEDs in fixtures you turn on and off frequently, since they’re less affected by being switched on and off.
- Assess the condition of your major appliances. If they’ll need to be replaced soon, choose those with energy-efficient features or that carry the Energy Star label.
The pros at Indoor Solutions, Inc., can help you start saving your energy dollars today. We’ve provided HVAC services for Columbus, Auburn and the surrounding area since 2003. Contact us today at Indoor Solutions, Inc.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com